Episcopal Election Covenant
United Methodist North Central Jurisdictional Conference 2016 Episcopal Election Covenant
A Covenant between Episcopal Nominees of the North Central Jurisdiction
The North Central Jurisdictional Episcopal Nominees covenant with each other to abide by a set of values-based guidelines to assure an election process that models the life and teaching of Jesus Christ. By signing this covenant, we agree with the following set of values:
- All persons are created in God’s image.
- Unity is one of God’s gifts to the Church.
- Elections should be a collaborative effort in discerning God’s will.
- Elections should represent the rich diversity of our Church and our Jurisdiction.
- Elections should be marked by fairness and respect for one another.
The parties to this covenant agree to the following guidelines based on our common set of values:
- We respect each other as brothers and sisters in Christ (no other “label” is required).
- In our speaking and listening, we seek to discern God’s will.
- Personal attacks and inflammatory language are not acceptable.
- Honest engagement of issues is always acceptable.
- Unity is not the same as uniformity.
- Election materials circulated in print or electronically must: identify the source, be positive (negative comments are not appropriate) and Nominee positions and qualifications be clearly stated in a positive manner.