Present: Ryan Russell, James Searls, Paul White, Lonnie Chaffin, Steve Court, Laura Witkowski, Gail Burgess. Bishop Julius Trimble joined us following another meeting.
Ryan Russell called the meeting to order at 1 pm CDT and we opened with a prayer.
Laura Witkowski and Steve Court presented the reviews from the Concept Review Team
The team did not recommend inviting the Eastern Illinois Wesley Foundation to submit a grant application. The proposal was limited to just one Wesley Foundation and didn’t include multiple partnerships. The committee voted by hand vote to affirm the team’s recommendation and will not send a grant application.
The team did not recommend sending a grant application to the GYPC Delegation 2018. This group is already receiving funding to attend the conference this year. There were many questions as to how they would follow up and if the Annual Conferences are aware/supporting the participation. The committee voted by hand vote to affirm the team’s recommendation and will not send a grant application.
The team recommended that we offer a grant application to Midwest Mission Distribution Center and this recommendation was affirmed by a hand vote. They will receive a grant application.
The team did not recommend that we offer a grant application to the NCJ Korean Mission. There was a great deal of discussion regarding their proposal. The proposal was for support of the Campus Korean Ministry in Chicago. We will need to ask further questions. A motion made by Steve Court and seconded by Lonnie Chaffin was withdrawn. A second motion to reconsider the NCJ Korean Mission proposal after getting further information was made by Steve Court and seconded by Lonnie Chaffin. The motion carried. Ryan Russell will talk with members of the Korean Mission while Bishop Trimble will confer with Bishop Jung and Bishop Bard.
The team recommended that the NCJ Hispanic Caucus be invited to fill out a grant application, but it will need more clarity and should list contact persons for each Annual Conference. The committee voted by hand vote to affirm the team’s recommendation. They will receive a grant application.
The team recommended that the NCJ Center for Hispanic Ministries be invited to fill out a grant application, but clear outcomes and measurable progress need to be included. The recommendation was affirmed by a hand vote. They will receive a grant application.
The team recommended that the Native American Course of Study NCJ CONAM be invited to fill put a grant application. It was noted that they have not applied for any of their grant money yet in 2018. The recommendation to extend a grant application for 2019 was affirmed by a hand vote.
The team did not recommend that the NE Region Native American International Caucus be offered an application. Very few people appear to be involved in the planning, and it is uncertain if the event planned for 2018 will occur. The committee voted by a hand vote to affirm the team’s recommendation and will not send an application.
The team recommended that NCJ UMVIM be invited to fill out a grant application. It was noted that they are trying new things to adapt to resources needed. The committee voted by hand vote to affirm the recommendation and extend a grant application.
The team also requested that we have a more complete evaluation of the grant process since this is already the third year of the new process and there hasn’t been much change in the type of ministries we fund. We have created more work but seem to be getting the same results. This will be put on the agenda for our meeting in September.
Bishop Trimble encouraged us to find new ways to encourage new plans so that we can be breaking new ground.
Lonnie Chaffin presented plans for the General Conference 2019 NCJ Delegation Summit on September 21-22. Members of the planning committee are Lonnie Chaffin, Ryan Russell, Paul White, Bishop Palmer, Bishop Bard, Bishop Dyck and Bishop Malone. They have set goals of 1) providing accurate information, 2) evaluating the impact on local church and other levels, 3) building trust, and 4) communicating internally and externally.
We will meet at Wespath in Glenview; the summit will begin with lunch at noon on Friday. The Bishops will be the presenters and facilitators. There will be small group, cross-delegation discussions before and after supper. It will be up to participants to arrange and pay for lodging Friday evening. The small groups will meet again Saturday morning with a final plenary session to be held before lunchtime. Lunch will not be provided for delegates.
Lonnie had estimated the cost for providing Friday lunch and supper and travel expenses for the delegates and first alternates. (We would not be paying for lodging or Saturday breakfast or lunch and the Bishops will pay their own expenses.) Lonnie moved that we approve $15,000 to cover expenses for the event. Jim Searls seconded and the motion carried. We will ask that all delegates and alternates make a commitment to be present for the entire 24 hours.
Lonnie also noted that Mission Council would also be paying for food, lodging and transportation for members of the Mission Council. The Executive Committee will arrive on Thursday, have supper together and stay at the Northbrook Hilton. The remainder of the Mission Council will arrive for lunch on Friday and participate in the gathering, then have lunch and supper on Saturday the 22nd.
It was noted that Communications personnel and DCM’s will also be meeting in September. The Communications personnel will participate in the gathering on Friday, and then will leave.
Lonnie informed the committee that the Jurisdictional Committee on Appeals had met in March and the expenses exceeded the amount budgeted by $15,000. (This involved paying for transportation, lodging and meals for nine members plus four alternates. Steve Court moved that we authorize the use of reserve funds to pay the additional cost of the Appeal. Gail Burgess seconded and the motion carried. It was noted that there should be a less expensive way to do this….
Jim will be sending out an email with the schedule for applications, etc. He noted that it is also on the website. There also will be an email going out soon about GC2019 Delegate Summit in September. Laura will notify grant recipients if they have been invited to fill out the 2019 application. We will also follow up with the NCJ Korean Mission.
Meeting was adjourned at 2:15pm